"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.
God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know,
and holds us responsible to act." Prov 24:12

Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Little About What Brought Us Here



I wanted to write a little about what has brought us to this point. I have known that I have wanted to adopt since I was 19. So for 15 years I have been dreaming about our adoption. I wondered where we would adopt from, if we would adopt a boy or a girl, how old the child would be, if we would adopt sibilings, if we would adopt a special needs child, etc. I was never quite sure what would happen and I wanted to leave our options open. In that last few years, my husband and I have been talking about special needs adoptions and thought this may be the road that we would travel down but again, we didn't want to put limits on ourselves because we did not want to close any doors to our child.

I have honestly felt that when the time was right, our child would find us. I truly felt we would be brought together in one way or another. So for the last few years, when people would ask where we wanted to adopt, what age, etc. I would simply state "We're not really sure. We want to leave our options open so our child can find us". Well, on October 1, 2009 this is precisely what happened. After having an adoption conversation with two of my good friends, I came home and looked on Reece's Rainbow. Now, this was nothing new for me. I have been looking at Reece's Rainbow for years. I would always find amazing kids on there but I never felt that push to pursue a specific child because as I know now, my child had not even been born yet. On that beautiful October day however, everything changed! Our lives changed forever that day and for that we are so grateful.

I wasn't really thinking when I went to the site, I was just kind of on automatic pilot. I went directly to the Other Angels link and then went directly to the Boys (0-5 years) link. I truly believe I was led there. I started scrolling down the page and the moment I saw Sean I just could not take my eyes off of him. I instantly felt a connection and I did not go any further on the page. I just looked at him for... I honestly don't know how long I looked at him because I truly could not take my eyes off of this beautiful little boy. I sent the facilitator at Reece's Rainbow an email shortly there after requesting more information (something I have never done). And when my husband came home that night, boy was he in for a surprise! One week to the day that I saw this beautifully perfect child, we commited to adopting Sean. To us, he is perfect. To us, he is a dream come true. This picture of Sean is the the picture that changed all of our lives forever!




10 comments:

  1. He is such a cute little boy!!! I am so happy he has found a great family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story of finding Sean blessed my heart so much! What a wonderful new son you have! I'm so excited to see God's plan take shape in your family's life. May the time from now until you have him in your arms fly by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats an incredible story! Sean is such a handsome little boy.

    Amanda - Adopting "Little One"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey There,
    If you email me your email address, I have a special treat for you! I'm in Sean's country adopting Grace Nadja.
    Hugs,
    Sarah
    sjomaples@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My story is similar. I prayed for 20 years for orphans. I always believed that one day there would be a connection. It finally happened in Feb. 2007. I had prayed for Andreas very often, but until that day, he was no different from the others. That day, I knew he was the one. After 6 weeks of prayer, he was given a $14K grant, and we were able to commit. We are leaving Dec. 26 to finally make him ours! May you continue to see God's miracles as you faithfully answer His call to bring home Sean. You can see that he is smart and full of life. He is gonna be a little tiger. I am so happy for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't tell you how happy I am for you. I too had an "experience" when committing to my little girl "Laurel" off of Other Angels. I had looked at RR for a year but when I saw her something just clicked. I saw Sean and my heart went out to him. I SO wanted him to find a forever family. He looks so strong in his eyes. When I saw him on the New Committments page I screamed, then cried, then called my family who had been praying for him too. Can't wait to follow your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please go to this country first and meet this boy before you decide to adopt.
    You do realize that prosthethics don't always work for double, triple and quad limbs missing?
    Eating, bathroom, reading, etc., will ALWAYS be assisted for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your concern Ruzanne but it is not our "goal" to have him in prosthetics. If that is what he eventually wants, then we will explore that option.

    Our hope and dream for him is to love himself for who he is. We want to do everything we can to help him achieve his dreams and make a difference in this world while he is here. To us he is perfect just the way he is and we will do everything in our power to give him the confidence to see himself the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Devon, He is so blessed to have you already. His eyes are amazing. I know you cannot wait to hold him and kiss him. I am so happy for all of you.

    ReplyDelete