"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.
God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know,
and holds us responsible to act." Prov 24:12

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Celebrating Sean's Country & Culture


I wish I could say where Sean is from but right now, until we are further along in the adoption process, I can only really say Eastern Europe. I have to admit, I did not know much about his country when we started this adoption. This has changed however because I now have a son coming from this country and I want to know everything I can about it. It fascinates me and I have really enjoyed learning about his country's history, the values and beliefs that are strong there and just about the people in general.

We really want to instill a love of his birth country and culture in Sean. We want to embrace it in our household and celebrate it throughout the year. Why wouldn't we... it is where are son was born and to us, that is so exciting. One of the things I did during the holidays was to attempt to make a traditional Christmas Eve dinner from his country. I did a lot of research about the holidays (which by the way, their dates of celebration are completely different than ours) and what traditional food is served during this time. I came up with three items and was so excited to practice. I want to make traditonal meals for him throughout the year. I know that he doesn't really eat those at the baby house but as I stated above, it is more about celebrating his culture... celebrating his place of birth and keeping that culture alive in our household for him.

So here was my first attempt at a traditonal dinner. I wont use the actual names due to the fact that we are not really supposed to mention where he is from at this point. But the basic english translation of our meal was a traditional yeast bread, stuffed cabbage rolls and a yule log cake. The bread was alright but I think I need to research more recipes for it. The stuffed cabbage rolls were awesome! I loved those and have made them a few times since. The cake... well, the cake looked great but the texture was really different and not to our liking. I know there are other recipes out there for this cake though, so I will try different ones until we find one we like.

I had a lot of fun and it helped us feel closer to him during the holidays. We look forward to celebrating Sean's country and culture with him by our side. Hopefully one day soon we will be able to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment