"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.
God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know,
and holds us responsible to act." Prov 24:12

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Busy, Busy, Busy

We are leaving in about a week and a half, and boy have we been busy! We got our I 171H, immigration approval letter, which was such a relief! That was the last key document we were waiting on. We would not have been able to travel if we did not have this. So needless to say, it was wonderful to finally be holding it in my hands yesterday. A few tears and a thank you prayer were shed when we finally got to the car.

Our plane tickets arrived in the mail yesterday and when I opened up the envelope, the first ticket I saw was for Sean. What a wonderfully sweet moment that was. One plane ticket, with our son's name on it... the ticket that will bring him home to his forever family... what an unbelievably precious ticket that is.

I packed up all the gifts we will be bringing to the children at Sean's orphanage. We are giving them all of our baby/toddler clothes from 0-18 months and anyone who knows me, knows that this is A LOT of clothes. I feel blessed that we are being given the chance to give all of these clothes to children who really need them. It's funny because I have had many chances to give these clothes away before. But nothing ever really worked out and I never really felt okay with it. I would get nostalgic over the little clothes that held so many memories for us. But as I was folding all of them the other night, remembering moments when our sons were wearing different pieces and smiling at the teeny tiny clothes from when they were newborns, I didn't feel any sadness. I didn't feel torn as to whether this was the right time to give them away. I felt happy. I wanted to pack those bags. I look forward to blessing all those children with so many wonderful clothes. Oh and who can forget they will also be getting a bunch of blankets and some really cute toys as well!

I was able to fit all the clothes & blankets in two bags which means that we will only have to pay one extra baggage fee, so that is good. BUT, these bags are huge and I have not weighed them yet so hopefully they will be under the 50lb. limit or we might have to move some things around. We shall see.

I think we pretty much have everything taken care of... I think. We have the apartment reserved (and it seems really nice!), we have the plane tickets, we have our bags packed (well, they are almost done), and we have a house/dog sitter set up (thanks Papi).

So, I think that the only two things we have left our buying the gifts and getting our I 171H form apostilled. We have to buy gifts for the nurses at the orphanage, our facilitator at the orphanage, the lawyer, and all of the government officials involved. Normally, I love shopping but I am at a loss as to what to buy everyone so if anyone has some good ideas or if you have done this before and want to share what you gifted, I would be extremely appreciative.

So that is where we are at right now. Busy, but busy for a GREAT reason and we are so excited for our trip. Thanks for joining us on this journey!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, was that fast! I am so excited! I can't wait to see Sean in his mama's arms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so, sooooooooooooo excited for you guys!! I can barely stand it...not sure how you're keeping it together right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Devon, I am so excited and happy for you all! God's timing is everything and what a blessing this journey has been for you all! Can't wait to see you all when you are back at church!:) -Rebecca Zurcher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Devon this is great news!! My heart is rejoicing for u, Sean, and your family! I pray that God's love will protect and bless this trip and your family in amazing ways!

    and about ideas for gifts to take, I think a nice pen (writing pens) is a practical gift that everyone loves to receive (I do anyway) and it won't take too much space. :)

    If there is anything I can do or help out before u leave let me know, or if u need a babysitter-- I can sit while u get things done. my email is shellvalencia@gmail.com Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how exciting! I cannot wait to see more of your beautiful boy!

    ReplyDelete