"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.
God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know,
and holds us responsible to act." Prov 24:12

Monday, June 28, 2010

Smiles, Giggles and Guardian Angels

So today has been wonderful. We haven't had any doctors appointments for a few days now and Sasha is really enjoying himself. I made sure I started getting on the ground even more and playing more and he is really responding to this. He was laughing out loud and couldn't stop smiling and giggling. He doesn't cry when I enter his room in the morning anymore either. The last two days, I have actually gotten his happy squeal instead so that has been pretty neat! He loves to watch me cook while he is in his favorite bouncy chair too and today, when I had to leave the room here and there, he actually whined for me to come back! Now Brooks does this ALL the time and has since birth and it can get to be a little much but when I hear it from Sasha at this point, it feels like a blessing.

I wanted to clarify a couple things from my last post as well, some things that I may not have made clear enough. Sasha is going to the doctor a lot right now but it is only for the things that are absolutely necessary right now. He has A LOT going on medically but some of the things are not as critical and can be put on the back burner right now. We don't want to overwhelm him any more than he already is and we don't want to interfere with our bonding so we are only do what is absolutely necessary and important to do right away. The other stuff can wait. So, if it seems like we are doing a lot, it could be worse and we are doing the best job we can to manage his care in a way that will be the most beneficial for him in the short and long term.

Also, I wanted to clarify that he doesn't really have significant bonding issues at this point. I just wanted to be honest and let everyone know that it wasn't all just going smoothly with no bumps in the road. I wanted to be honest so if anyone else is in our position and wonders why their child didn't instantly bond, they know that others have been in their shoes. It has helped me tremendously to hear about others who have been in our place and how they have made it through... so thank you for all the comments and support. It means a lot!

Sasha is not going through anything more than a typical child goes through, he is just going through different things that are adoption related that I wanted to share. Brooks is going through just as much, as is Heath, as is any child I know but I just wanted to make sure I shared how the adoption side of things were going because I know it helped a lot for me, to see how it went for other people. Brooks in fact, is heading toward the wonderful terrible two's stage and oh boy, is that fun! In fact, I think I could write a whole post just on that, LOL. So all in all, Sasha is doing great and we are doing great... like I said, just a few bumps in the road and they are different ones then I am used to so it takes some adjusting.

On another note, a very exciting thing that happened for Sasha today was that he got to meet his guardian angel Stephanie! Stephanie is a very good friend of mine and she has done so much for our family during this adoption and has been an integral part in bringing Sasha home to his forever family. She is such a blessing. She and her family have been on a mission trip in Papua New Guinea for the last two months and just got home last night. So they came over today to meet our baby boy and it took a lot for me not to cry the moment they finally met. She and her husband Ben have done so much for little Sasha and I was so glad that they finally had the chance to meet. It was pretty amazing too because Sasha reacted very well to them and seemed quite at peace, even with all the other kids running around screaming and laughing. He even did what he loves to do to Jeremy and I, he peed on Stephanie. What a wonderful bonding moment it was for them that I am sure she will treasure forever, once she washes her shirt that is!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that he "bonded" with Stephanie through pee...so funny! :) I am excited to meet him-will you be at the brunch tomorrow? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete