"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.
God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know,
and holds us responsible to act." Prov 24:12

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Things We Take For Granted

The things we take for granted... for instance, how easy it is for most of us to go in and have blood drawn for some lab work. It never really crossed my mind until today that is. Sasha has to have a number of diagnostic tests done to see why his body is overheating, why he is consistently dehydrated, etc. So, to do this, we had to go to the Children's Hospital to have some blood drawn.

They wanted first morning draws which means he could not eat anything beforehand. So, I left the house as quickly as I could this morning, which was around 8. It took about 30 minutes to check in since we had never been to that hospital before and then we finally made it back to the lab. I handed all my paperwork in and when I did, they saw Sasha so I am not too sure why 20 minutes later, they were surprised when we walked back there. They did not know what to do. They kept asking me how he had blood drawn in the past and I kept saying that I did not know because we just adopted him. I said that I assumed they would have to take it out of his jugular vein in the neck or his groin since this is what the pediatrician had said the day prior. Well, they said that they could not do that. They were not allowed to do that so they would have to call down an anesthesiologist to do the draw. Really?! My husband is a doctor so I could just see in my head at that point how much we were now going to be charged for a simple blood draw since a doctor had to be involved.

At this point, it was around 9:20 and poor Sasha was starving. They said they would try to work everything out as quickly as possible because they knew how hungry he must have been. So we waited another 20 minutes (at this point he was bawling, he had done so well up until this point, no tears). I was then told that all the examine rooms were full so the doctor would have to do the draw from his neck in the OR and I was not allowed to come. What?! You have got to be kidding me. You are going to draw blood from my son's neck, the son we are trying to bond with and to gain his trust, and you are telling me I can't be with him! Unbelievable. At that point, I had just really wished my husband could have been there because he would have been allowed to go in the OR with Sasha. But he wasn't so I had to hand him over. Everyone was VERY nice (it is a children's hospital after all with very sick kids) and very sweet with Sasha but it was still hard to hand him over. I wanted to cry and anyone that knows me knows that I am a cryer. But crying would not have done him any good nor would it have done me any good so I held it all in (had to pat myself on the back for that one, LOL).

I then waited in the lobby for about 15 minutes just praying that his blood draw from his jugular vein would go well. They came out with him and they were all just oohing and aahing over him. They didn't want to let him go and kept saying how well he did back there (no tears or fighting) and just how cute he was (I know I am biased but I totally agree!). And the good news was that they didn't have to take it out of his jugular like they thought, they were able to do it through a vein on his scalp so that was good! And the lab tech watched it all and said that she could do that so from now on, if we needed a blood draw, they could do it at the lab. Amen for that! At 10:30, Sasha finally got his breakfast... and he was so good about it all. He keeps impressing us more and more each day.

Who would have ever guessed that a simple blood draw could be so dramatic...

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Ok, in the future its ok to say, "You guys get your act together and we'll come back a different day." But then again, I don't know how far you have to go to get there! But if it's a reasonable drive, I would do that. Remember that you're his advocate now, and sometimes you'll find yourself in a situation where you can't go backward and change things, and going forward could be a mistake, so sometimes stalling is best. Nobody will hold it against you for doing so, and erring on the side of caution is sometimes best. Remember to follow your gut, and if something doesn't feel right, DO NOT move ahead with it. Even if you have to take yourself to a restroom to pray for clarity, take a minute to do so.

    All that said, that boy is amazing, and it sounds like he worked his magic on the hospital staff! I think you're right, there are a lot of things we take for granted every day, and I never thought about the blood draws! We're putting new a new front door on the house, and when we were buying hardware I realized what we had picked out I don't think our waiting little girl would be able to open. I'm starting to look at some things with new eyes! How are things going with him moving around his new home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor guy! Sounds like he did amazingly well. I hope you find out something soon.
    love, the Adamsons

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what took so long for them to think of that. Isn't that what they do with newborns.

    ReplyDelete