"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.
God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know,
and holds us responsible to act." Prov 24:12

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Guess Who Went Swimming Today?!














Sasha want swimming for the first time today! I took the three boys to the aquatic center we belong to and Sasha did great. He was not very happy as we entered the building because it resembles the children's hospital somewhat. So I think he thought we were headed to another lovely doctor's appointment but once we got in the water, he really started to enjoy himself. He was nervous at first, no doubt about it, but we swam for over an hour and he thoroughly enjoyed himself for most of that time. I was so proud of him. I wish I could have gotten a picture but it just wasn't happening with just me and three boys in the pool... we'll have to wait for daddy to come along and then I will get a bunch of pictures.

Sasha is doing great! We are so impressed with how well he is transitioning to his new life. He is adjusting so well which just blows us away. He was moved away from everything he has ever known a little over three weeks ago but he is just so relaxed about it all. He had a couple of institutional behaviors when we first met him, teeth grinding when he was mad or upset and rubbing his head on something for comfort, but those have virtually disappeared! We hardly ever hear the teeth grinding anymore and the head rubbing we only really see when he is tired. He just seems so happy and content already and this just makes us so happy and relieved to know that he isn't feeling a lot of stress and turmoil.

He is eating so well too... we are actually already off baby food! Yay! He still gets upset if his food is a little chunkier than he likes but he is basically eating everything we are, just cut up into smaller pieces. He and Brooks both really enjoyed the spaghetti the other night... I swear, Brooks is the messiest eater I have ever seen. The picture I included represents what his face looks like after most meals. He can take anything, literally anything at all I give him, and make a mess of himself with it. It is actually quite funny. Anyway, back on track... Sasha is finally taking the bottle that he can do himself once a day. His dad and I like to feed him his bottle the rest of the time, for the bonding, but once a day, we give him a Podee bottle so he can start to learn some independence as well. He resisted this at first but after a couple of weeks, he gave in and now he really likes it. I will include a couple of pictures so you can see how he is doing it all on his own.

If you are wondering why my children are always in diapers in the pictures (I know I would be wondering this), it is because it is REALLY hot where we live in the summer and Sasha overheats VERY easily. VERY easily. So, I just keep him and Brooks in diapers while we are home and this has been working really well. Sasha is quite content and his body temperature stays fairly regular. I also wanted to clarify why Sasha is pretty much always in some sort of baby chair, or seat in all the pictures. He cannot sit up on his own right now and since I am usually the only one home, I have to have him in one of these seats while I am taking pictures. At other times during the day, we are working on his sitting skills and he is getting better and better each day. I really hope to have him sitting on his own in the next few months. It will give him such a feeling of independence and open up his world that much more. Now if only I could get Brooks to walk but that is a whole other story...

3 comments:

  1. I remember a few hot summers where my daughter and I lived in bathing suits because we wanted as little clothing on as possible!

    Glad to hear Sasha is doing so well. I'm so happy for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures. We'll go with and take pictures of you swimming next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys!
    I've never introduced myself before...My name is Nathan Phillips. My wife Megan and I are adopting Aleksandar and Nathan from Serbia. It has been such a joy to watch and hear about your journey. It is a blessing to hear your heart. You sum up/encourage/re-affirm the things the Lord is putting on our heart about "why" we would adopt. Thank you for your hearts and your obedience. We look forward to staying up on your blog. When you were in Serbia, were you able to get any photos of Aleksandar? Shelley said that you were going to try. If so, could you email those to us? My email is: natephillips2003@yahoo.com. Thank you so much!
    Blessings,

    Nathan

    ReplyDelete