"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do.
God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know,
and holds us responsible to act." Prov 24:12

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sasha Has Some Big News About His Name...


I have some big news about my name! You all know me as Sasha and my parents love and adore that name but to them, it never felt like it was MY name. If felt more like a nickname that was given to me in my birth country. They loved it as a nickname but it just never felt like it was meant to be my actual name. So, my parents took their time and really thought deeply about what they wanted to name me. In my birth country, when you adopt a child, you cannot change the name that was given to them at birth. You can only do that once you are back home. So my parents were not able to change my name right away. They knew they had time to figure it out. They wanted to have my name picked out before I started school which wasn't for awhile. So they took a lot of time and careful consideration in trying to come up with a name for me that fit. That was right. That was just simply meant to be... my name.

Both of my older brothers have family surnames. My parents never really felt right that I did not have a family surname as well. They wanted this for me for many reasons, one of which was so that when I got older, I didn't feel different from my brothers. They didn't want me to ever have to wonder why my name was not a family name like theirs. So my mama prayed about it. They both thoughtfully considered many names that they came across in our family genealogy (thanks Gram for all the wonderful genealogy!). They would find a name, try it out for a couple of days but nothing ever felt right. And to tell you the truth... even though I wasn't that verbal at the time, I really didn't like the choices they were throwing out there either.

But then one day my mama came down and asked me if I like the name Bowen because she had fallen in love with that name when she was looking through our family's history. It felt right to her. Just as my brothers names felt right to her the moment she heard them, Bowen felt right to her. So she asked me what I thought. The moment she said it my face lit up and I immediately called myself Bo Bo. I had never done anything like that before but I really wanted my parents to know that I liked the name Bowen. In fact I loved the name! They loved the name, I loved the name... what more could you ask for?!

So they were ready to make the big change. But they decided to sit on it for awhile. So many people around the world already knew me as Sasha (which by the way is still my nickname... always will be) and it was hard to just tell everyone that all of that had changed. So they waited awhile. But now that I have started school and everyone pretty much knows me as Bowen there (they actually like to call me Bo at school)... well, they decided it was time to tell everyone.

So, I am here to do that today. But before I tell you my whole name, I also wanted to talk about my birth name. Aleksandar is the name my birth mother gave me so it is very important to my parents that I keep that name as well. They never felt connected with it as my first name (probably because they didn't pick it and it's not a family name) but they most definitely felt it was important to keep it somewhere in my name. They always want me to have a part of my birth mother with me and to keep a part of my birth country as well. So they decided that it would be my middle name. And now, when my mama says my whole name... she just lights up. She loves my whole name. It all just feels right to her. So, without further ado, I would like to announce to you my name and I pray that you are all understanding of why my parents decided to make the change. Believe me, I love my name. I light up when I hear it and I love saying it. Oh right... I forgot I was supposed to be announcing my name. So here goes... without further ado, I would like to announce that my name has officially become...

Bowen Aleksandar Toomey

Isn't that a great name?! I just love my name. Thank you all for your understanding and for continuing to pray for me as I navigate my way through life. Both my parents and I are so grateful for the love that is showered upon me from around the world.
All My Love, Bowen


6 comments:

  1. How awesome is that !!!
    What a great new name for a very handsome little man...

    ~Jody

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the name! Absolutely love it! Especially since I like names that my kids will not share with anyone in their class. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bowen!

    Love, Gram

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful story, thanks for sharing it Bowen and mommy! May God bless you richly Bowen Aleksander Toomey!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely name! i love when you wrote that his face lit up and he called himself bo bo!

    ReplyDelete